Yeah, I know. This is the third recipe with bacon in it in the last week. Also it’s the second consecutive picture using the same dishtowel in the background. I’m sorry. I’m a terrible blogger and neglecting my duties. But c’mon! It’s bacon in a cupcake, it’s amazeballs and my most requested cupcake from my friends. Are you really going to hold it against me?
You are? Okay well then how about I lay a guilt trip on you? I had a doozie of a fall on Friday (totally sober, isn’t that the worst?) and bruised the nerves in my right arm. I can hardly stir a spoon. Ok that’s a total lie, but I did bruise my nerves and the feeling just started coming back to my arm yesterday and let me tell you, it’s annoying as hell. Because before, it was just gross and purple and bruised. Now it’s like a mini elf is hanging off my elbow repeatedly smacking my funny bone just for the hell of it.
I don’t even want to talk about the bruises on my ass. The BF took some charming photos, that he’s been showing off to friends and co-workers I’m sure. You can ask him for evidence if you’re that interested. I don’t know why you would be though, I’m a totally trustworthy source.
So just make these cupcakes, I don’t know how else to convince you. They tasted like breakfast, but better. Oh and add bourbon, it really adds wonders to the flavor.
*Just a Note: The really good maple flavor in the cakes as well as the frosting comes from maple extract. In my opinion it is entirely necessary to this recipe as you’d have to add enough maple syrup to give an elephant diabetes to achieve the same depth of flavor without it. Do your teeth the favor and just buy it.
- 1 lb bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled, reserve at least 3 strips for garnish
- ¾ cups (1½ sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk (I use whole)
- 1 tsp maple extract
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp bourbon (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3-4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 1 tbsp bourbon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line your muffin tins with liners (this makes about 2 dozen regular and around 4 dozen mini).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup mix together the milk and extracts.
- When the butter and sugar have been creamed add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Working in three batches add the flour alternating with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix only until no streaks of flour remain.
- Fold in the bacon pieces.
- Fill cupcake tins ⅔ - ¾ full and bake for 10-12min or until the tops are springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cream the butter until smooth.
- Sift in the confectioners sugar a little at a time until desire consistency is reached.
- Add the maple extract and bourbon.
- If frosting is too thick add more milk, if it is too thin add more confectioner's sugar.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and top with a piece of cooked bacon.
- These are best served the day they're made, elsewise the bacon gets soggy. If you aren't serving them immediately you can either top with super adorable pig sprinkles, cook the bacon the day you're serving, or skip it altogether.