Hey Chitlins! I’m thinking about making “Stuff ‘n’ Things” a weekly roundup of what’s been happenin’ around the Sprinkelry. I’ve always enjoyed a good bit of navel gazing, don’t you?
1. Last weekend I convinced The BF to play tourist and headed down to the Statue of Liberty. He’d never been! I went when I was younger with my cousins and we made the harrowing trek all the way to the crown. The crown is open again, after having been closed after September 11th, but you need advance reservations for that. Plus, that double-helix open staircase? Nothankyousir.
2. Also last weekend we went to the newish brewery near our newish apartment and realized they have thuh best summer beer! If you’re ever in Astoria you should definitely check out Singlecut Beersmiths. They have (had?) a great sour beer called “Kim” and a really good fruit saison called “Le Von” when we were there on Saturday. Loved it. Also, giant pretzels. Obviously a must.
3. My dear friend from college is embarking on her two year stint in Russia with the foreign service this week. We had lovely goodbye drinks on Tuesday, the day before she flew out. Russian Summer Vacation 2014? I vote yes!
4. Yesterday was my 2 year blogoversary! I promise to have sprinkles and cake for you next week!
5. And lastly, food I pinned this week:
- Anything involving cookie dough is my best friend. Cookie dough cake? Check. Cookie dough ice cream sandwiches?? Getinmahbellahnow!
- Also booze. I love booze. So Margarita cake that is even boozier than some of the boozey cakes I’ve made? Sign me up!
- Oh and mustard. I lurve me some mustard. I’ve been meaning to make it myself for awhile. I even have a bag of mustard seeds sitting in my cupboard. So beer mustard? Hello, where do I sign?
- I finally bought the norpro popsicle mold this week so I definitely bookmarked these popsicles from my inspiration queen Smitten. Except I’m totally swapping out the nutella for peanut butter, or cashew butter. Or basically anything that isn’t nutella.
Oh and can we talk about what’s happening on the blog lately? Everyone is going bananas over the Italian butter cookies I made for the Foodblogger Cookie Swap last year. I think I need to make them and rephotograph given their popularity. I mean, I don’t blame people. They simple, delicious, and endlessly customizable. Get ‘er done!