Hey kids! It’s fall! Wee! That means fall baking projects, a.k.a. my favorites! But for those of you who aren’t quite ready to jump head first into full on fall baking I have just the project for you: Jell-O shots.
You all probably saw the Buzzfeed article that shows you how to make jell-o shots in hollowed out apples. Which was apparently adapted from some other blog. Well I’ve done gone and adapted them again. Because frankly, I was annoyed with the cocoa mix that was added. I felt it muddied the flavor of the caramel. Also, caramel syrup from Hershey’s? Psssh. Minor leagues. I’m bringing the real deal.
These puppies are delicious and are not as liquory as a traditional Jell-O shot, which is both good and bad. You can definitely get a buzz off these if you eat enough of them, but the alcohol content per shot is significantly less than your typical college shot. Jussayin’. We’re classin’ it up a bit over here.
So let’s all agree to make cute Jell-O shots for Sunday’s football games. For those of us who don’t enjoy football (I know, shoot me, I’m one of those people) you can eat a whole bunch of these and pretend like you’re having fun. For those of you who do enjoy football, then I guess you’re just winning all around!
*Just a note: If you want explicit step-by-step photos of how to make these check out either article linked below. It’s pretty simple but sometimes pictures make more sense than words. If you want to make this lactose-free swap out the sweetened condensed milk for coconut milk and find a lactose-free caramel (I like goat’s milk caramel personally).
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples
- lemon juice (preferably from a fresh lemon)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- generous ⅓ cup caramel dip (the stuff that comes in a tub for dipping apples into, or the Smucker's caramel topping for ice cream)
- pinch of salt
- 2 envelopes unflavored Knox gelatin
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup flavored vodka (caramel, vanilla, whipped, anything that isn't straight vodka will cut the bite)
- OR ½ cup buttershots + ½ cup water
- OR ½ cup flavored vodka + ½ cup water if you don't want to have fun.
- Cut the apples in half lengthwise through the core.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the apples to create a shell about ¼inch thick.
- Set apple halves into cups of a muffin pan and squeeze or brush lemon juice onto cut apples to reduce browning.
- Set aside until filling is ready.
- In a medium sauce pan pour in water and sprinkle two packets of gelatin over top. Let sit for about 2 minutes or until the gelatin has created that weird wibbly surface.
- Turn heat to low and whisk until gelatin has dissolved.
- Add sugar, caramel, salt and condensed milk and whisk until everything is dissolved and combined.
- Turn off the heat and let mixture cool to warm.
- Add liquor or liquor and extra water and mix. Transfer to a container with a spout.
- Fill each apple cup with caramel jell-o mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, place apples flesh-down (Jell-o down) on cutting board. Cut into quarters. Remove the stem and trim off the apple butt before serving. Trim off any brown parts with a paring knife. Serve immediately.
If you need to transport these to your event, it's easiest to match up the halves again and wrap each apple with cling wrap, then cut and serve at your destination.