Chitlins, I know 4th of July is like 10 hot seconds away (literally, those seconds are hot) but I haven’t thought of anything totally awesome to share with you yet. Life has been stuffed to the rafters lately and I’m just starting to process it all now. Oofda.
But I can give you this, since we are deep in the throes of swimsuit season, and I think you’ll thank me for it (says the girl who just purchased her third attempt at a tankini today). Seriously, can we side track for a minute? Tankinis were a huge thing when I was in high school and middle school. I know this because they were all I owned. Now why is it when I’m actively searching for one are they impossible to find? They’re either skin tight (thanks, but no thanks Victoria Secret) or plus sized (harsh buzz there ModCloth).
Anyhoodle. In an attempt to get more healthy greens into me, or an attempt to get me out the door faster in the morning, I’ve started drinking smoothies a few days a week. I know, I know you’re supposed to EAT your greens, but I feel like the fact that this is a SMOOTHIE and not a juice (the crucial difference being the fiber) I can get away with this.
Also, you’re not going to convince me not to drink them, so there.
Breakfast smoothies. Let’s do this.
- ½ large bunch of kale, stems removed
- 2 cups pineapple rings
- 1 mango
- 1 ripe banana (optional)
- 1-2 cups water
- coconut water
- In a blender add half the kale (and totally accidentally just wrote cake) and 1 cup water until liquified. Add remaining kale and blend until liquified again, adding water through the feed tube if necessary to get things moving.
- Once blended add the pineapple and mango until smooth.
- Taste and add banana if not sweet enough/palatable.
- Store in large airtight containers until ready to serve.
- To serve, blend 1½ cups puree with ½ cup coconut water (or regular water) until smooth. (I use my immersion blender because my regular blender can't handle it).
- Puree will keep in the fridge for 4 days.