If you want to know anything about me know this: I am a late bloomer.
This is true for all things in my life. Liking popular music, wearing jeans, my first kiss, popular TV shows, vegetables.
Exhibit 1: I listened to the Beatles until well into 6th grade before I realized there were new bands producing music currently. I promptly added the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls to my list (obvs).
Exhibit 2: The BF and I just started watching Dexter. For those of you that don’t know, the first season came out in 2006. Yeeahh.. I’m obsessed though, now. Addicted. My one friend gets all sorts of updates from me (RITA GROW A BACKBONE! LILA BACK OFF!) and she’s all, “Gurlfriend you don’t even KNOW!” You’re right, I don’t. Yet.
Exhibit 3: Radishes. I had never in my grown adult life tried a radish until Labor Day weekend. Commence gasping. I know.
But here’s my rationale: I don’t like beets. Like not at all, not even a little bit. They taste like barnyard filth. Radishes look like mini beets. Who knew these tiny little orbs could offer such a sensory delight! The crunch! The peppery bite. I’m in love.
In fact, I love them so much I like to enjoy them as plain as can be.
Orrrr…. layered on a piece of toast slathered with a nice butter (I like to treat myself to Kerry Gold) and a little sprinkle of salt (if I’m feelin’ fancy, and let’s just all agree that I’m pretty much feelin’ fancy erryday, I use pink himalayan salt). Boom, snack time level: genius.
So, not a recipe today. Just the best suggestion I’ve made all week.
- 2 slices good sourdough bread
- 2-3 tsp good butter (I like Kerry Gold)
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- dash of coarse salt (like Pink Himalayan salt)
- Toast your bread so that it's crisp but still has a little chewy (makes less crumbs that way!)
- Slather with butter as soon as you remove from toaster.
- Layer the radishes on top.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with a generous dose of salt.
- Consume. Repeat as necessary.