HAPPY NEW YEAR CHITLINS! I trust everyone had some wonderful festivities with minimal hangovers. I know I had wonderful festivities. The hangovers were maybe a bit stronger than minimal, but yah know. No pain, no gain, amirite? No? Damn.
Anyhoodle. I know we’re all on a detox diet because of holiday shenanigans, so I made you a roast chicken. I made me cinnamon buns, but you’re on a diet so you get roast chicken. Don’t worry though, it’s really great chicken. I promise. It got the fiance stamp of approval. True story. He didn’t even try to change it. Can’t say the same for the buns, but oh well. They’re not for you anyway.
Let me give you a few tips about this chicken, ‘kay? First, roast that sucka upside down. You won’t regret it. And you’re on a diet anyway so you’re going to rip off all the skin without consuming it, right? Right. It keeps the chicken boobs nice and moist (all the words that are terrible about food! I just used them). But for serious, do it.
Also, make sure you pat your chicken dry before you start so you can season the skin. It helps what is exposed to crisp up and give it that nice golden crust. It’s the little tricks.
This makes enough for dinner for two people with leftover for lunch the next day. So you can put it on top of your salad and continue that detox kick. That is until I perfect those cinnamon rolls. Then you better watch out.
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken
- ½ grapefruit, sliced thin
- 1 orange, ½ sliced thin
- ½ lemon, sliced thin
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 5-8 springs of dried thyme
- Heat oven to 375F and prep a roasting pan or large casserole dish.
- Pat chicken dry and remove the innards and neck. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken upside down in roasting pan and place thyme springs on top.
- Layer grapefruit, orange, and lemon slices evenly over the top of the chicken covering all the skin.
- In a small sauce pan juice the remaining half of the orange, add the honey, wine, and butter and cook over medium heat until thoroughly melted.
- Pour of chicken, brushing any exposed areas liberally.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, brushing with the juices every 10 minutes to keep moist.
- After 30 minutes remove fruit slices and turn heat up to 400F. Continue to bake for another 20 -25 minutes, brushing every 8-10 minutes until the skin is golden and the juices run clear with pricked with a knife.
- Let rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before carving and serving.